10 observations: Blackhawks bounce back with shootout win that originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago
ELMONT, NY – The Chicago Blackhawks beat the New York Islanders 3-2 in a shootout at UBS Arena on Sunday.
Here are 10 observations of victory:
1. The Islanders are down to 0-8-3 in their last 11 games. They have six straight home losses and are still looking for their first UBS Arena win.
2. Dylan Strome tied the tie 1-1 at 5:59 of the third period for his second goal of the season and he let out the biggest celly. He almost emerged as the winner of the game, but Noah Dobson tied the game with 2.3 seconds left in regulation. Nevertheless, it must have been very pleasant for Strome.
3. Brandon Hagel was credited with a power play goal in the first period and has scored for the eighth time this season, becoming the only possession for the team’s second place. He’s now on pace for 31 goals this season.
4. Marc-André Fleury was once again wonderful. He stopped 22 of 24 shots for a .917 save percentage and all three in shootouts.
5. The Blackhawks had 5:29 of offensive zone possession time against the NY Rangers on Saturday, according to Sportlogiq. They had 5:30 of possession time in the offensive zone over two periods against the Islanders and finished with 7:29. It’s more like that.
6. The Blackhawks had four shots on goal in the second period. Only one of them came in equal force; the other three were on the power play.
7. The Blackhawks allowed 14 scoring chances in Thursday’s rush against Washington. They only allowed three against the Rangers and two against the Islanders. Another positive step.
8. Kirby Dach hasn’t scored a goal for 17 straight games now, but he should have had a few on this road trip. At one point on Saturday he had the entire top half of the net to shoot at, but his shot came out of the goalie’s face mask and out of play. On Sunday he had a 7-foot point blank opportunity but it was was arrested. He sat on the bench with his head down afterwards and you could clearly see that the dryness of the goals weighed on him.
9. Jean-Gabriel Pageau won 16 of 19 face-offs for a winning percentage of 84.2. He dominated the Blackhawks in point.
10. Riley Stillman has returned to the lineup after missing the last five games with a left knee injury. He replaced Wyatt Kalynuk, who was assigned to the American Hockey League’s Rockford IceHogs on Sunday morning.
Click here to follow the Blackhawks Talk podcast.
Download MyTeams today!