Sports

Billy Slater on Five Minute Sin, Jaydn Su’A’ Dragons Offense, Mitch Barnett Newcastle Sent Off


Legendary NRL full-back Billy Slater has endorsed the idea of ​​bringing the five-minute sin bin back, saying “borderline” incidents and professional fouls would suit the decision.

In the third-round fixtures, there were four players convicted, including three in Cronulla’s 36-12 win over the Dragons on Thursday night.

Newcastle were a man down for nearly 50 minutes in their loss to Penrith, when Mitch Barnett was sent off for a cheap shot on Chris Smith.

READ MORE: Verstappen wins thriller as Ricciardo bombs

READ MORE: Kyrgios wins in Miami, explodes former great

READ MORE: Tigers great denies abusing coach during loss

Speaking on the issue of five-minute sin bins, Slater pointed to Jaydn Su’A’s controversial sin when he was told to leave the pitch for a late shot on Sean O’Sullivan in Penrith’s win at the second round against the Dragons.

“I think there’s room for five minutes in the bin,” he told Wide World of Sports. Billy’s breakdown.

Billy bemoans unruly play: Billy’s Breakdown – Round 3

“Look, 10 in the trash can be a game changer. We’ve seen it in the last two weeks when the Panthers played the Dragons and Jaydn Su’a went for 10 in the trash after hitting Sean O’ Sullivan, allegedly late.

“I didn’t think it was late. Big call, it changed the game. The Panthers scored two quick tries in that 10-minute span.

“It happened again on the weekend against the Knights. Two quick tries after Mitch Barnett went off the field (ejected).

Joey disappointed by Knights star dogging

“I think for the less serious you can look at five in the trash. I think there’s a place for that in the game and it’s at the discretion of the referee.”

The debate over five-minute sin lockers has been around for a long time.

While many have echoed comments similar to Slater in the past, including Broncos great Darren Lockyer last year, some have objected, such as Peter Sterling, who recently said he’s not a fan. to revise the old rules.

The option to send players to the bin for five minutes had previously existed, but was abolished at an International Council meeting on 1 May 1991, amid criticism that this resulted in inconsistent demands from referees .

Calls for the NRL to bring back the five-minute sin bin gained momentum during last year’s magic round when 14 players were convicted, while three were sent off following the new approach of the league to quell high tackles.

Slater said boundary violations and professional fouls are a good example of what could be considered just five minutes off the field.

“I think the borderline ones. I thought the Jaydn Su’a one, there was some speculation as to whether it was late or it wasn’t late,” Slater added.

“If you’re going to trash someone for this, you have to make sure you’re making the right decision.

Stream the NRL Premiership 2022 live and free on 9Now

“Professional misconduct, they are probably five in the trash.

“Five in the trash you have to defend and that takes a lot of juice. Not the points that are scored against you, but it takes a lot of gas from the tank when you’re defending with 12 men.

“I think the coaches would be in favor of it because they know the impact of having a guy in the trash for 10 minutes.”

For a daily dose of the best news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by click here!


Sports Grp1

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.

Eleon

"Writer. Coffee practitioner. Twitter specialist. Food trailblazer. Subtly charming analyst. Troublemaker. Unable to type with boxing gloves on."
Back to top button