Skip to content
Bill O’Reilly files order to prevent accuser from appearing in “The View”

NEW YORK (AP) – “The View” on Wednesday called off a scheduled appearance by a woman who settled a sexual harassment lawsuit against Bill O’Reilly, after the former Fox News Channel personality sought and received an injunction against her.

O’Reilly has accused his former producer, Andrea Mackris, of violating a nondisclosure agreement when speaking about her experiences with him nearly two decades ago.

ABC’s daytime talk show, in a statement, said that after being informed of the restraining order “we have decided to postpone its interview pending further developments. We look forward to welcoming him to “The View” at a later date. “

Mackris gave an interview to The Daily Beast earlier this month, detailing his experiences with O’Reilly. She accused him of making repeated obscene phone calls, while he accused Mackris of an attempted extortion before agreeing to a $ 9 million settlement in 2004.

Fox News in 2017 fired O’Reilly, then its most popular star, after it was revealed the company had paid five women a total of $ 13 million to remain silent about disturbing encounters with him.

O’Reilly, in court documents filed this week in the New York State Supreme Court in Nassau County, accused Mackris of violating confidentiality obligations she agreed to in her settlement. Although Mackris apparently believes the terms do not apply to her, “she did not offer to return any of the millions of dollars she received,” O’Reilly’s lawyers said.

Judge Randy Sue Marber signed the restraining order on Tuesday and ordered a hearing for July 26.

Mackris told The Daily Beast on Wednesday: “I hope the days of the law to silence women are over. I will continue to fight for my voice.

In the July 13 article for the website, Mackris opened up about her emotional distress and being effectively sidelined in the news industry in the years following her case.

This article was co-authored by “Contributing Journalist” Diana Falzone, herself a former Fox News employee. Falzone settled a sex discrimination lawsuit against Fox, after accusing the network of abruptly taking her off the air when she wrote an article in 2017 detailing her struggles with endometriosis.

The Daily Beast revealed Fox’s connection and settlement of Falzone in an editor’s note at the end of the article.

.



Source link