After waging a stunning battle at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester City meet Real Madrid one last time for a chance to face Liverpool in the Champions League final.
Man City take a 4-3 lead at the Bernabeu and boss Pep Guardiola will put up an exceptional fight to ensure he has the opportunity to win the European title for the first time with the club.
However, the 51-year-old must come up with a plan to stop not one but two incredibly talented Real Madrid players, Karim Benzema and Vinicius Junior.
Benzema has been phenomenal for the Spanish side, having scored nine Champions League goals in the Round of 16 this season, with only Cristiano Ronaldo in 2016-19 (10) scoring more in a single campaign.
And the Frenchman could become the fourth player to score in both quarter-final and semi-final matches in a season, after Fernando Morientes (2003-04, Monaco), Neymar (2014-15, Barcelona) and Edin Dzeko ( 2017 -18 years, Rome).
Man City must also keep tabs on Carlo Ancelotti’s trusted winger Vinicius. He has created 28 chances from open play in the competition this season, the most by a player since Dusan Tadic in 2018-19 (36) and the most by a Los Blancos player since 2010-11 (Mesut Ozil, 32).
Will it be an all-English Champions League final or can Real Madrid make a stunning comeback?
talkSPORT EDGE take a look at all these important stats…
- Manchester City have won their last three UEFA Champions League games against Real Madrid; only two teams have won four consecutive victories against them in European competition, Ajax between 1973 and 1995 and Bayern Munich between 2000 and 2002.
- Manchester City have advanced in nine of the previous 10 UEFA Champions League knockout ties after winning the first leg, only failing in the Round of 16 against Monaco (5-3 first leg, 1-3 second leg).
- Real Madrid have been knocked out in all five previous UEFA Champions League semi-finals after losing the first leg; however, they have progressed from two of their last three knockout ties in the first leg defeat, in the 2015-16 quarter-final against VfL Wolfsburg and the last 16 of this season against Paris Saint-Germain.
- Real Madrid have lost their last two UEFA Champions League matches and lost just three in a row, between February and October 2020, a run that included two defeats against Man City. Current manager Carlo Ancelotti has never lost three Champions League games in a row, with the game being his 178th in the competition.
- Kevin De Bruyne has 18 UEFA Champions League assists for Manchester City, the most of any player and behind only Neymar (25) and Kylian Mbappé (20) in the competition since making his debut for City in September 2015. De Bruyne has scored and assisted in the first leg, one of only two occasions he has done so in the UEFA Champions League – the other was at the Bernabéu against Real Madrid in February 2020.
- Pep Guardiola has won four UEFA Champions League games against Real Madrid, with only Ottmar Hitzfeld winning more (seven). Two of his wins against Madrid have come at the Bernabeu (2011 with Barcelona, 2020 with Man City) and he could become the first manager to win three away from home.
Most read on the edge
RAPID FIRING SQUADS
Gabby Agbonlahor’s quick teams ahead of Madrid v City
Juve to field Paulo Dybala replacement and Man United to suffer transfer failure
Will Super Sane equal Lampard’s record and send Liverpool to ANOTHER UCL final?
Where are they now? Check out the latest Liverpool side to play at Villarreal
Here’s what you missed from Tuesday’s talkSPORT breakfast… live on EDGE
NAMES OF STARS
Five current Man United players ten Hags can team up with