The bodies of two workers, who, at first, had been reported missing, “were cleared from the rubble in the afternoon”, announced the firefighters in Antwerp. This means that all the victims, five in number, have been found.
Among them, “one came from Portugal and another from Romania,” police told local media, while the nationality of the other deceased workers was not specified.
The workers worked for a subcontractor for the construction company Democo, according to Belga. “All the employees are devastated,” Frederik Bijnens, managing director of Democo, told this news agency. “Now that the emergency services have done their best, a thorough investigation will begin to identify the cause of the accident.”
Nine other people were injured in the crash on Friday afternoon, three of whom are in intensive care but not in critical condition, the fire department tweeted.
As the school was still under construction, no students were present.