Nature

Beginning of the requisitions in the trial of the attacks of November 13

Published on :

The Advocates General begin their indictment on Wednesday at the trial of the November 13 attacks in Paris. During this phase of the hearing, one of the last, the representatives of the prosecution request a sentence against the accused, or their acquittal.

This is the epilogue of an extraordinary trial. Representatives of the national anti-terrorist prosecutor’s office (Pnat) began to take their requisitions, Wednesday June 8 in Paris, at the trial of November 13, six and a half years after a night of “dread” and “terror” which made 130 dead and traumatized the country.

The indictment, spread over three days, will end on Friday with the sentences claimed against Salah Abdeslam and his 19 co-defendants. Twelve of them encourage life imprisonment.

“What will we remember from this hearing? What images? What words will remain?”, said Advocate General Camille Hennetier, the first of three Advocates General who will follow one another before the Special Assize Court.

“Your verdict, of course. The names of the missing men listed last September. The accounts of the victims, finally, indisputably the cruelty of the terrorists who shoot piecemeal and finish off certain people with relish,” she continued.

This extraordinary trial in terms of its length, its more than 2,500 civil parties and its emotional charge, is coming to an end, more than six and a half years after the worst attacks ever perpetrated on French soil. In turn and for three days, the representatives of the Pnat will rise to purge which, according to them, are the responsibilities of each of the accused tried since September 8.

Camille Hennetier, Nicolas Braconnay and Nicolas Le Bris will try to put together the puzzle of a titanic case, first in a general way, then by developing the case of each of the 20 accused – six of them, including five senior executives of the Islamic State organization presumed dead in Syria, are judged in their absence.

It is only Friday that they will claim penalties for their meeting.

“I ask you to hate me in moderation”

Twelve encourages life imprisonment, including Salah Abdeslam, the only surviving member of the commandos who sowed death at the Stade de France, on the Parisian terraces and in the Bataclan concert hall.

Mutic during the investigation, the 32-year-old Frenchman answered questions during the trial, but his “truth” struggled to convince the prosecution. It was “out of humanity” and not “out of cowardice”, he explained, that he himself did not kill, renouncing to operate his explosive belt in a bar on 18e borough.

The man who presented himself as an “Islamic State fighter” at the start of the trial finally shed tears during his last speech a few months later. “I ask you to hate me in moderation,” he told the survivors and relatives of the victims, asking for their “pardon.”

The prosecution, which has always preferred the thesis of a malfunction of his belt, confronted Salah Abdeslam with his contradictions during his interrogations.

“Strange”, “incongruous”, showed the magistrates of the Pnat, that the main defendant had been recruited by the jihadist cell only a few days before the attacks, as he argued. Or that he cannot identify the bar he was supposed to target – invisible in the documents listing the “targets” discovered in a computer of the jihadist cell.

Hard to believe finally, while the commandos of the Stade de France, the terraces and the Bataclan were all composed of three men, that Salah Abdeslam operated “all alone”, he who unlike the others had never gone to train in Syria .

End of the pleadings of the civil parties

In addition to the main defendant who incurs irreducible life imprisonment – ​​an extremely rare sanction which makes any adjustment of sentence very difficult –, the Advocates General will request against Mohamed Abrini, “the man in the hat” of the Brussels attacks who was also “planned” for the 13-November, and the “good friends” who helped Salah Abdeslam during his escape.

Some, like the accused Farid Kharkhach, who made false papers “without knowing” that they were intended for the jihadist cell, or Yassine Atar, who swears to be linked to the file only because he is the brother of the sponsor of the Osama Atar attacks, hope that the proceedings have changed the prosecution’s mind.

There should be no surprises in the requisitions, the file having evolved little during the more than 130 days of hearing.

These requisitions follow the pleadings of the civil parties, completed on Tuesday evening.

For two weeks, the lawyers returned to this night of horror and chaos, these scenes of war in front of the Stade de France or in the middle of Paris which left indelible wounds. After the requisitions, the floor will be given to the defense from June 13. The verdict is expected on June 29.

With AFP


Fr

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button