Authorities complete investigation into Newton’s fatal shooting


A judge has ruled that the officers who killed Michael Conlon were not criminally responsible.

A man walked into a Newton candy store with a knife in January 2021, resulting in a fatal shooting. Jim Davis/Boston Globe Team

Authorities have completed their investigation into the officer-initiated death of a Newton man in January 2021. Following an inquest, Judge Jeanmarie Carroll ruled that the officers involved were not criminally responsible for Michael’s death. Conlon. The 28-year-old walked into a candy store with a knife, prompting a deadly interaction with police.

“The court does not find that the actions of any of Newton’s officers or supervisory responsibilities render them criminally responsible for Conlon’s tragic death or that they are otherwise criminally liable,” Carroll said in its findings.

The incident happened on January 5, 2021 at 1:43 p.m. Police received a 911 call from the owner of “Indulge!”, a candy store on Lincoln Street in Newton. The store owner told police a man was inside with a knife. Two officers arrived and located Conlon, who lived on the second floor of the building, according to a news release.

The police then called in additional officers and a negotiator. A mental health expert arrived before the shooting but was unable to enter the building for security reasons, officials said. Other Newton policemen and State Police troopers also arrived.

Conlon fled to the third floor, which contains two apartments. A woman who lived on this floor fled the building and police were able to enter her residence to create distance from Conlon, who was in the hallway.

Conlon and police walked back and forth, with officers responding to his requests and offering to contact his family, the statement said. But Conlon “became confrontational” and armed himself with a fire extinguisher.

Conlon then placed the knife on the ground and officers “attempted to apply less than lethal force,” which was unsuccessful, officials said. Conlon grabbed the knife and ran towards an officer, holding the weapon at shoulder level.

“As he began to bring the knife down in a stabbing motion towards Newton’s officer, two other Newton police officers fired their service weapons and one of the Massachusetts State Police troopers fired. deployed his Taser. Conlon was punched multiple times and transported to Newton Wellesley Hospital where he was later pronounced dead,” the statement read.

The inquest began on December 6, 2021 and ended on January 27, 2022. The Court heard testimony from nineteen witnesses and reviewed numerous exhibits.

Officials noted that District Attorney Marian Ryan began calling for investigations into fatal shootings involving an officer in December 2018. An investigation is being conducted to uncover the facts and circumstances surrounding a death and to see if a crime was committed. been committed.

The proceedings are closed to the public, but officers involved in the incident and the family of the deceased are permitted to be present and may participate to ensure fairness. Thereafter, a judge is required to issue detailed written findings. These findings, along with transcripts of the entire investigative process, are made public once the investigation is complete. The findings of this case can be viewed on the District Attorney’s website.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button