Skip to content
Attack in Norway: the five victims were killed with knives, not with a bow


The five victims of theattack perpetrated last week in Norway were stabbed to death by the suspect who presumably lost or got rid of his bow and arrows during his murderous journey, Norwegian police said on Monday.

“At a certain point, he gets rid of or loses his bow and arrows,” Inspector Per Thomas Omholt said, recounting the attack at a press conference. “In Hyttegata, he kills five people with knives in both private and public places.”

The police, who had until then indicated that the suspect Espen Andersen Bråthen was armed with a bow and arrows as well as two other weapons, did not want to specify the nature of these bladed weapons for the purposes of the investigation. . “Everything indicates that these victims were killed at random,” said Per Thomas Omholt.

Police said more than a dozen people were also targeted by archery at the start of the attack, but none were killed with the weapon.

Psychiatric assessment in progress

Suspected of Islamist radicalization, Espen Andersen Bråthen, a 37-year-old Dane, admitted to having killed five people and injured three others in this episode which occurred on Wednesday in Kongsberg, a town in south-eastern Norway.

“As for the motive, the disease remains the main hypothesis. And with regard to conversion to Islam, this assumption is weakened, ”added Per Thomas Omholt.

Placed in pre-trial detention in a medical institution, the suspect, who has already explained himself at length, is no longer able to be heard at present. A psychiatric assessment is underway to determine whether or not he can be held criminally responsible for his actions.



Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.