ATHENS, Ala. (WHNT) — From fresh fruits and vegetables to baked goods and even face paint, the Athens Farmers’ Market has something for everyone. Now, for the first time, the market is open on Tuesdays.
It was originally called Athens Saturday Market, but was renamed to open for a second day as Athens Farmers’ Market after a unanimous vote by the Limestone County Commission.
Both days will be a Certified Alabama Market, meaning all produce, prepared foods, and crafts must be produced locally and sold by the makers or their employees.
Kat Greene, the market’s manager, told News 19 that’s what makes it so special.
“It’s like my shirt says, shake the hand that feeds you; it’s a little slogan that we’ve adopted,” Greene explained. “You know where your food is grown. It has to be within a mile of this location to sell here, so when buying you can look the person in the face and that’s who you’re supporting.
The Tuesday market season will continue until September 27. Saturdays begin June 4 and end August 27. It is located at the Market Pavilion on Greene Street in downtown Athens and open from 7am to 12pm.
But, if you are not near Athens, don’t worry! There are many other farmers’ markets in the Tennessee Valley, including:
Morgan/Decatur County Farmers Market:
- Location: 211 1st Ave. SE, Decatur, Alabama 35601
- Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday – 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The Greene Street Market at the Nativity:
- Location: 208 Eustis Ave. SE, Huntsville, Alabama 35801
- Hours: Thursday – 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
City of Madison Farmer’s Market:
- Location: 1088 Hughes Road, Madison, Alabama 35758
- Hours: Saturday – 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Florence/ Lauderdale County Farmers Market:
- Location: 451 Fairground Rd., Florence, Alabama 35630
- Hours: Saturday – 6 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Suggest a fix