At least eight people have been killed and 24 others injured in shootings across Chicago so far this weekend, authorities said.
In the latest fatal shooting, a woman was fatally shot following a car chase just outside the 22nd Precinct Police Station in Chicago’s Morgan Park neighborhood, police say.
At approximately 8:47 p.m. Sunday in the 1900 block of Monterey Avenue, the two men were heading north in a vehicle when a gray Chrysler approached them and someone inside started to shoot at the vehicle, police said.
The driving victim, a 42-year-old man, tried to drive away from the suspect towards the 22nd precinct station, police said.
As the suspect’s vehicle continued to follow him, the victim drove towards the station’s exit port. The suspect in the gray Chrysler then pulled over and fired several bullets, police said.
The man got out of his vehicle and headed for the front door of the station, where officers found him, police said. He was first taken to hospital in serious condition. Authorities later reported that he suffered a scrape to his lower body and was in good condition.
The 46-year-old woman was shot in the head and taken to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead, police said.
In the first fatal incident of the weekend, a 65-year-old man died of injuries sustained in a shooting Friday night in the 400 block of North Hamlin, according to law enforcement. The victim was near the front of a residence around 7:16 p.m. when she was struck in the chest, police said. He was taken to hospital in critical condition and later died of his injuries.
About two hours later, a 50-year-old man was shot dead while at a restaurant in the 2700 block of West Division, police said. The assailant fired from outside the establishment, hitting the victim who was then inside. The victim was shot in the neck and taken to hospital where he died.
At around 1:27 a.m. Saturday morning, an 18-year-old man was shot multiple times while on the porch of a residence, police said. The victim, who suffered multiple gunshot wounds, was taken to hospital and pronounced dead.
A 26-year-old man was found shot dead at around 2.49am Saturday in the 2900 block of South Poplar, police said. The victim was shot in the head and was found dead upon arrival by first responders. ‘
At around 3.15pm on Saturday, two men died from injuries sustained in a shooting in the 8300 block of South Paxton, authorities said. A 31-year-old man was hit in the back, chest and pelvis. He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead. The second victim, a man believed to be between 25 and 30 years old, was shot in the leg, arm, chest and head. He was also taken to hospital where he died.
No one is in custody as the investigation continues.
Early Sunday in the 4900 block of West Superior, officers received a ShotSpotter alert and upon arrival discovered a man had been shot in the neck at that location.
Authorities took the man to a local hospital, and he was pronounced dead a short time later.
An investigation into the shooting is still ongoing.
Here are the other shootings that have been reported:
- At around 1:22 a.m. in the 5200 block of South Richmond, officers responding to a ShotSpotter alert discovered a 22-year-old woman who had suffered a scrape on her left thigh. She was listed in good condition at an area hospital, police said.
- In the 1300 block of South Homan at around 5:46 a.m., a 27-year-old man was shot in the leg, police say. He was transported to a local hospital, where his condition stabilized.
- In the 8800 block of South Burley, at approximately 10:48 a.m., a 24-year-old man was sitting in the back of a car when a person in another vehicle shot him, grazing the back of his arm. head. He drove to a nearby hospital, where he was listed in good condition.
- At approximately 2:36 p.m. in the 100 block of East 79th Street, a 36-year-old man was injured in a shooting, authorities said. The victim was traveling in a vehicle when she was shot in the back. He was taken to hospital in critical condition.
- In the 4900 block of West Superior Avenue, a 29-year-old man was on the sidewalk when an unknown person approached and shot him, police said. The victim was hit in the leg and taken to hospital in good condition.
- At approximately 5 p.m. in the 6700 block of South Western, a 23-year-old man was shot and injured in the lower back. The victim was in an alley when someone fired shots, hitting him. The victim is said to be in good condition.
- A 5-year-old boy and an adult man were injured in a shooting around 5:02 p.m. in the 7600 block of North Paulina, police said. Both victims were inside a vehicle when a black Hyundai drove past their vehicle, and someone inside fired shots, hitting both victims. The boy was taken to hospital and listed in critical condition. His father was hit in the arm and is said to be in good condition.
- In the 300 block of East 77th Street around 7:45 p.m., a 21-year-old man was in an alley when he heard gunshots and felt pain, authorities said. The victim was shot in the right thumb and was taken to hospital in good condition.
- Two people were injured in a shooting around 7:30 p.m. in the 2100 block of East 71st Street, authorities said. The victims were on the street when a dark colored vehicle drove by and someone inside fired shots, hitting the victims. A 25-year-old man was shot in the ankle and was listed as undamaged. The second victim, a 60-year-old man, was shot in the thigh and is also believed to be in good condition.
- A 30-year-old woman was shot dead during an argument on a CTA train around 12:09 a.m. in the 100 block of North State Street, police said. An unidentified man fired shots during a verbal confrontation, and the victim was hit in the knee, authorities said.
- In the 10500 block of South Yates at around 12:11 a.m., a 48-year-old man was in an alley when he was hit by gunfire, police said. The victim, who was shot in the face, fled the scene in his vehicle and drove to the Chicago Police Department’s 4th District Headquarters for assistance. He was taken to hospital in serious condition.
- At around 1:30 a.m. in the 1900 block of West Howard, a 47-year-old man was outside when he heard gunshots and felt pain, police said. The victim was punched twice in the wrist and listed in critical condition in hospital.
- A man was shot in the leg around 11.30am in the 1600 block of North Luna, police said. He was hospitalized in serious condition. The circumstances remain unknown on Saturday afternoon.
- A 35-year-old man was shot in the leg during a verbal altercation around 11:58 a.m. in the 3700 block of West 83rd Street, police say. The victim had a verbal altercation with a known assailant, who then shot the victim. The victim was taken to hospital in stable condition. No arrests were made.
- In the 3700 block of West Congress at around 2:58 p.m., a 24-year-old man was shot while traveling in a vehicle, police said. An unknown vehicle pulled up next to the victim and someone inside fired. The victim then fought back, police said. The victim rushed to hospital on his own and is believed to be in good condition.
- Police say a 33-year-old man was standing on a sidewalk in the 200 block of South Hoyne at around 11:13 p.m. when a person in a black truck fired shots, hitting him in the left side of the head. The man was taken to an area hospital in good condition.
- In the 1100 block of North Lawndale at around 11:46 p.m., a 29-year-old man was shot in the abdomen, police say. It was listed in good condition.
- A 22-year-old man was shot dead around 5:30 p.m. in the 2700 block of West 15th Place, authorities said. The victim entered the hospital with a gunshot wound to the calf, police said.
- In the 6900 block of South Carpenter, a 24-year-old man was shot in the abdomen and back, police said. He was hospitalized in serious condition.
- A 26-year-old man was shot dead around 8:50 p.m. in the 3900 block of West Monroe, authorities said. The victim was standing outside when he heard gunshots and felt pain. He was beaten several times and registered in a critical condition in the hospital.
- At around 11.49pm in the 3400 block of North Kilbourn, a 26-year-old man was driving when he was shot by an unidentified man in another car, police said. The victim was shot in the arm and was hospitalized in acceptable condition.