At least 26 members of the Afghan forces were killed in a suicide car bomb attack on one of their bases Sunday morning, November 29, in eastern Ghazni province, officials said. “We have received 26 bodies and 17 wounded so far. All are members of the security forces ”Baz Mohammad Hemat, director of Ghazni hospital, told Agence France-Presse (AFP).
According to Interior Ministry spokesman Tareq Arian, the suicide bomber “Used a car full of explosives”, in the Deh Yak district, around 7:30 a.m. (4 a.m. in Paris). Nasir Ahmad Faqiri, a member of the provincial council of Ghazni, counted 26 victims and 16 wounded, adding that the target was an Afghan army base.
The attack has not yet been claimed, but Ghazni province is the scene of relentless fighting between Afghan forces and the Taliban. While they stopped targeting American forces as part of the US-Taliban agreement signed in February in Doha, the insurgents have only intensified their violence against Afghan forces since.
They attack them daily across the country despite the peace talks between the two camps still ongoing in Doha. These negotiations began on September 12, but are progressing at a senator’s train due in particular to disagreements over the simple rules of discussions. The two sides were also unable to agree on a ceasefire.
53 attacks in six months
The violence also affects civilians. On Tuesday, at least fourteen of them were killed in central Afghanistan when two bombs exploded in Bamiyan, a town famous for its Buddhas destroyed by the Taliban – yet considered the least dangerous in the country. These explosions, however, have not been claimed.
In the past six months, the Taliban have carried out 53 suicide attacks and carried out 1,250 bombings, which have left 1,210 civilians dead and 2,500 injured, the interior ministry said last week. The jihadist group Islamic State has also claimed responsibility for bloody attacks in Kabul in recent weeks, including two against educational centers, as well as rocket attacks, which have killed more than 50 civilians.
Meanwhile, American troops continue their departure from the country. Washington has in fact committed to withdraw all its troops from Afghanistan by mid-2021 in exchange for security guarantees from the insurgents, according to the agreement signed between the two camps.
Since the signing of the text, air support from American forces to Afghan forces has drastically decreased. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with the Afghan government and the Taliban separately in Doha last week, and called for a significant reduction in violence and an acceleration of talks.