Minister of State for Electronics and Computers Rajeev Chandrasekhar said on Wednesday he had spoken to Apple about reports of stores in the nation’s capital running out of stock of the latest phone from the company offering the iPhone14 Pro.
The minister also said there had been an increase in demand for the iPhone 14 Pro and that Apple was addressing supply constraints.
“I spoke with Apple and they said while the demand for iPhone14 was also met by Indian production, the demand for iPhone14 Pro has increased and is facing supply constraints which they are addressing,” he tweeted.
His tweet came in response to a complaint that stores were out of stock of Apple iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max versions for weeks in the National Capital Region and that private sellers were selling them on the black market.
“Private sales are likely ‘alternative’ supply channels,” Chandrasekhar said.
The iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max went on sale on September 16.
It was reported earlier this week that Apple was cutting production of the iPhone 14 Plus and increasing production of the more expensive iPhone 14 Pro due to lukewarm demand, according to market research firm TrendForce.
The share of the more expensive iPhone 14 Pro series has risen to 60% of total production from the originally projected 50%, and it could rise to 65% in the future, according to the report.
In another report this month, it was said that the company was also cutting iPhone 14 Plus production within weeks of starting shipments. The milestone comes as Apple reassesses demand for the midrange model, the Information reported, citing two people involved in the company’s supply chain.
The Cupertino, Calif.-based company has asked at least one manufacturer in China to immediately halt production of iPhone 14 Plus components, according to the report.