Skip to content
Anthony Joshua’s mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk got back into trouble to become the champion’s next opponent |  Boxing News


Anthony Joshua’s mandatory challenger, Oleksandr Usyk, got back into trouble to become the champion’s next opponent.

A U.S. court has ruled that Tyson Fury must face Deontay Wilder in a third fight before September 15, which would derail a clash with Joshua, according to information released Monday night.

Fury had announced just 24 hours earlier that a fight with Joshua to decide the undisputed heavyweight champion would take place on August 14 in Saudi Arabia.








1:32

Eddie Hearn believes Joshua will take advantage of ‘trash talk environment’ against Fury

Usyk, the mandatory challenger to the WBO belt held by Joshua, is now trying to clinch his world title opportunity.

“Absolutely. There is no other reasonable excuse for AJ now,” Usyk promoter Alexander Krassyuk said. Sky Sports.

“If he doesn’t avoid Usyk, it’s high time he faced the Proxy!”

“Two London Olympic champions will face off nine years later. What a story.

“We are now in a position to get the fight to take place as soon as possible.”



Anthony Joshua’s mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk got back into trouble to become the champion’s next opponent |  Boxing News







0:49

Oleksandr Usyk’s challenge to Joshua last year

The Usyk promoter has confirmed that they are already in contact with the WBO and with Joshua promoter Eddie Hearn.

Usyk has been in negotiations to fight Joe Joyce for the provisional WBO title while Joshua and Fury have contested all the big belts in the division.

The WBO had agreed to waive Usyk’s right to a mandatory opportunity due to the importance of the undisputed title fight.



Anthony Joshua’s mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk got back into trouble to become the champion’s next opponent |  Boxing News







0:39

Fury says his fight with Joshua will be the biggest sporting event the planet has ever seen.

But, if Joshua vs Fury were sabotaged by the arbitration decision surrounding Wilder, then Usyk could assert his right to compete for the WBO belt.

Wilder drew his first fight with Fury and then, in February 2019, lost the WBC title in the rematch. Neither man has returned to action since.

Wilder and Fury’s teams did not comment at the request of Sky Sports about the court decision.





Source link