Andy Ruiz Jr looks set to face Luis Ortiz in his next fight following confusion over his next opponent.
It was revealed earlier this week that the heavyweight was set to fight Tyrone Spong as the headliner of a Triller PPV show in Mexico City, Mexico.
The announcement came as a surprise considering Ruiz Jr reportedly signed a contract to fight Ortiz last summer, with Ortiz telling Spanish newspaper El Neuvo Herland on Thursday that he was a coward.
“He knew how much I wanted to fight him, but he decided to take an easy route. … A fight comes up that no one is interested in and is useless in his career.
With the Spong fight looking set to be the former heavyweight champion’s next fight, reports from ESPN have suggested he will now face Ortiz which was originally planned, with speculation suggesting the winner could face Deontay. Wilder if he returns to action.
Assuming the Ruiz Jr vs Ortiz goes through, it will be the 32-year-old’s biggest fight since his double-header with Anthony Joshua in 2019.
The Mexican shocked the job when he knocked out AJ in Madison Square Garden to take all the belts, however, six months later Joshua won them back in the rematch.
After taking 18 months out of the sport, Ruiz Jr returned with new trainer Eddy Reynoso against Chris Arreola in May 2021, a fight he ultimately won on points.
Most read in boxing
The worst heavyweight kings in history, from short reigns to national treasure
The punch that almost finished the race undefeated and Tyson Fury’s forced plastic surgery
Fury v Whyte date: UK start time, talkSPORT commentary, undercard and breaking news
Benn v Van Heerden date: UK start time, card and how to watch welterweight clash
Tyson Fury warned that Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis would ‘eat him for dinner’
Meet the man with the most electric boxing ring walking in boxing…thanks to Tom Jones
The hope was that Ruiz Jr would be able to build momentum after this fight, but a troublesome knee injury forced him to undergo surgery which delayed his return to action.
With Ortiz’s fight being a PBC heavyweight event, Triller Fight Club president David Tetreault, who was behind Spong’s fight, said he hoped both fights could still happen.
He told ESPN: “We are working amicably with PBC to make sure Ruiz meets his obligations to both parties.
“If we had known that PBC was planning to fight him before, we would never have chosen this date.
“We have a good relationship with PBC and are currently working to identify an optimal date to reschedule the fight. The date Triller lands will be in conjunction with PBC and their schedule.
Betting offer of the day
Bet365: Bet £10 Get £50 Free Bets – CLAIM HERE
Account opening offer. Bet €10 and get €50 free bets for new customers at bet365. Minimum deposit requirement. Free bets are paid out as bet credits and can be used when settling qualifying bets. Minimum odds, betting and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude wagering bet credits. Deadlines and terms and conditions apply 18+ Begambleaware.org