Skip to content
Ammonia leak from Schwan Food Company, emergency shelter in place

Firefighters said 22,000 pounds of ammonia had leaked. The building, which is vacant, is being demolished.

ATLANTA – Authorities have said that a major ammonia leak at a northeast Atlanta has been resolved.

According to a Tweet from Atlanta Fire Rescue, the leak occurred at 1 Lemon Lane NE, which is the address of Schwan Food Company.

An emergency alert was sent to cell phones in the area just before 3:30 p.m. The message said to “take shelter immediately” and avoid going outside as a precaution. “Close all windows and doors. Turn off ventilation and HVAC systems,” he added.

About an hour later, Atlanta Fire Rescue announced in a Tweeter the shelter put in place in order was lifted. Atlanta Fire Battalion Chief Gary Robb told 11Alive the emergency alert was just a precaution to keep people safe in the area.

Firefighters said several roads were also blocked. They first urged people to avoid the intersection of Oakdale and DeKalb Avenue. The teams also closed Arizona Avenue.

Atlanta Fire Department Battalion Commander Gary Robb told 11Alive it all started when workers were unloading 40,000 pounds of ammonia from a storage tank into a truck when a valve of this truck malfunctioned.

Workers were able to escape and call 911. Robb said first responders arrived and started pouring water over the gas to try and keep it close to the ground.

According to Robb, part of 22,000 pounds of ammonia has leaked. He said the building, which is vacant, is being demolished.

Authorities said no one was injured.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.