Bill Clark / CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images
The Democratic-led House select committee investigating the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol issued five new subpoenas to several former Trump administration officials and allies, including Roger Stone, spokesman Taylor Budowich and InfoWars founder Alex Jones.
The committee said the subpoenas focused on planning and funding the January 5 and 6 rallies in Washington, DC, the march that followed and the deadly riot.
“The select committee is seeking information on the rallies and the subsequent march to the Capitol which turned into a violent mob attacking the Capitol and threatening our democracy,” the chairman of the committee, Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said in a statement. “We need to know who organized, planned, paid for and received funds related to these events, as well as the communications the organizers have had with officials in the White House and Congress.”
The subpoenas, which include requests for records and testimony, were also issued for Dustin Stockman and his fiancee, Jennifer Lawrence. Both were involved in the rallies, the committee said.
Ahead of this new wave of testimony and requests for documents, the committee issued nearly three dozen subpoenas for former officials, advisers and organizers of the January 6 rally.
So far, the committee has met with about 200 anonymous witnesses, who have spoken voluntarily, received 25,000 pages of documents and obtained more than 200 advice via a hotline, said California Democratic Representative Zoe Lofgren, a member of the panel.
Legal battle for release of Trump documents continues
Monday’s requests come the same day the committee and the National Archives responded to former President Trump’s arguments in an appeals court to stop the publication of documents related to January 6. Trump appealed a district court ruling earlier this month that allegedly sent hundreds of pages of documents to the committee.
The lawsuit came after President Biden waived executive privilege over Trump documents.
Last week, Trump’s legal team filed a brief with the United States Court of Appeals in the DC Circuit, arguing a dispute between a former and a sitting president, highlighting major concerns about executive privilege. Another move in favor of the committee, Trump argued, would have a direct impact on the advice President Biden and future presidents can get without fear of public disclosure.
But the defendants in the case, the committee and the National Archives, criticized the allegations. For example, the committee’s legal team said Trump had failed to demonstrate how the withholding of documents would harm the presidential office.
“The only prejudice Mr. Trump claims is that the release of the requested documents will jeopardize the interests of the executive branch,” the committee said in its file Monday. But “this claim of prejudice is more than outweighed by the overriding public interest in a full and timely investigation of the attack on Capitol Hill, as determined by President Biden.”
With an accelerated schedule in place, the appeals court is expected to hear oral arguments in the case next week, on Tuesday, November 30.