The Spanish Alejandro Valverde, 41, conquered this Sunday O Gran Camiño, a new four-day cycling event held in Galicia, in the northwest of his country.
The fourth and final stage, a 15.8-kilometre time trial in Sarriá, went to the Ukrainian Mark Padun (Education First), who already stood out last year by dominating two mountain stages at the Dauphiné Criterium, when he was racing for the Bahrain team. .
Padun, 25, changed teams at the end of last season.
Valverde, who had won the third stage on Saturday, beat Canadian Michael Woods in the final standings by seven seconds, tenth in the time trial.
The veteran Murcian runner brings to 133 the number of his victories since he became a professional in 2002.
The 2018 world champion is scheduled to retire at the end of this year.
– Classification of the 4th stage of O Gran Camiño:
1. Mark Padun (UKR/Education First), the 15.8km in 20:19.
2. Jesus Herrada (ESP/COF) at 05.
3. Alejandro Valverde (ESP/MOV) 10.
4. Ion Izagirre (ESP/COF) 10.
5. Derek Gee (CAN/ISR) 11.
10. Michael Woods (CAN/ISR) 27.
– Final classification:
1. Alejandro Valverde (ESP/Movistar) 12:35:55.
2. Michael Woods (AUS/ISR) at 07.
3. Mark Padun (UKR/EF1) 1:49.
4. Ruben Fernandez (ESP/COF) 1:55.
5. Ivan Sosa (COL/MOV) 1:57.