Skip to content
Alec Baldwin returns his cellphone amid ‘Rust’ fatal shooting investigation: DA


A search warrant for the phone was issued on December 16.

Alec Baldwin turned his cellphone over to New Mexico authorities a month after a search warrant was issued for the device as part of the investigation into the fatal shooting on the set of “Rust”, officials said.

The Santa Fe District Attorney’s Office told ABC News on Friday that it now has the actor’s cellphone.

The update comes a day after the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office released a statement saying the phone had not yet been turned over to authorities.

The search warrant for Baldwin’s phone was approved by a Santa Fe County judge on December 16. Baldwin’s attorney acknowledged receipt of the warrant, and the Santa Fe County District Attorney’s Office was negotiating with Baldwin’s attorney to retrieve the phone, according to the sheriff. Office.

Authorities said they want to look at the phone text messages as part of their investigation into the Santa Fe set last year that killed the film’s cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins, and injured its director, Joel Souza.

Investigators are also looking to seize photos and videos, emails, internet browsing histories, GPS data and more, according to the warrant.

Baldwin took to Instagram last weekend to explain the delay in handing over the phone, saying he wanted to make sure his private communications were protected.

“Any suggestion that I’m not complying with requests or orders, or search warrants on my phone, that’s bullshit —. It’s a lie,” Baldwin said in a nearly five-minute video. published on January 8.

The actor added that he and his attorney follow a required process when a state requests information or evidence from a subject who lives in another state.

“It’s a time consuming process. They have to specify exactly what they want. They just can’t go through your phone and take, you know, your photos or your love letters to your wife or whatever. “said Baldwin. “But, of course, we’re going to be 1000% compliant with all of that. We’re, you know, totally okay with that.”

Baldwin shot Hutchins on Oct. 21 on the set of Western, which he was producing and starring in. The actor thought he was wielding a “cold gun” – one without live ammunition – when it apparently exploded and a live ammunition hit Hutchins.

“Someone put a live bullet in a gun, a bullet that wasn’t even supposed to be on the property,” Baldwin told ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos in a December interview. “Someone is responsible for what happened, and I can’t say who it is, but I know it’s not me.”

The homicide investigation, which is being led by the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office, is ongoing. No criminal charges have been laid.

ABC News’ Kaylee Hartung and Bill Hutchinson contributed to this report.



ABC News

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.