Aberdeen 1 – 1 St J’stone

St Johnstone remain bottom of the Premiership after being tied in a 1-1 draw by managerless Aberdeen for a share of the spoils at Pittodrie.

Callum Davidson’s side took the lead after just six minutes through former Dons loanee Callum Hendry, but the hosts had the best of the game and equalized through a Lewis Ferguson penalty after 71 minutes.

Barry Robson took charge of Aberdeen following the departure of former head coach Stephen Glass, but their search for a new manager reportedly saw an approach for St Mirren boss Jim Goodwin pushed back earlier today.

His team, however, could not have had a worse start.

Glenn Middleton outplayed Jonny Hayes in the left backcourt and placed a low cross which, after Hendry and Ali Crawford saw blocked shots, was eventually turned into the net by Hendry.

The home side would continue to make the most of the first half with a shot from Ferguson pulling a save from Zander Clark, before Connor Barron sliced ​​the rebound nicely.

Scott Brown saw a deflected effort cut the crossbar before Hayes was denied by Clark.

The St Johnstone keeper suffered a calf injury just after the half-hour and tried to continue, making a fine diving save on Ferguson’s deflected shot before finally being sent off just before the interval, to be substituted by Elliot Parish.

Aberdeen’s Lewis Ferguson (L) celebrates with Jonny Hayes after making it 1-1

Parish got his first glimpse of action by taking a drive from Ferguson after a neat exchange of passes with Christian Ramirez, but it would be injuries that would define the opener of the second half, the Saints striker Hendry being sent off before the captain of Aberdeen Brown also had to be replaced.

Brown’s injury came after he switched to defense when Declan Gallagher was substituted at half-time and meant Ferguson returned to an unfamiliar role at the heart of defence.

Aberdeen found themselves level from the penalty spot 20 minutes from time after Calvin Ramsay – who has impressed so far this season – was knocked down in the box.

Ferguson stepped forward to fire the resulting kick into the bottom left corner as Parish was sent the other way.

The home side put the ball in the net again soon after, but Vincente Besuijen’s close-range finish was ruled offside.

Aberdeen could have snatched all three points in injury time as a Ferguson header from Ramsay’s cross sailed wide and – in the final action – Parish saved another Ferguson header from a late Dons corner as the booty was shared.

What the managers said…

Aberdeen keeper boss Barry Robson: “You can see a team that has struggled lately and is a bit lacking in confidence.

“When St Johnstone scored their goal you can see we didn’t move the ball fast enough, but we grew in the game and had some really good chances in the first half that we should have scored.

“We lost Declan Gallagher at half-time, then Scott Brown and ended up with Lewis in central defence. It’s a sign of a team that wants to fight and I like that.

“Another evening we come away with a few won goals.”

St Johnstone boss Callum Davidson: “The penalty baffles me. If there is contact – and I don’t think there is – it is outside the box.

“In the last three games we’ve had one dismissal and two penalties. I think it’s important that we give the referees some help with big decisions like penalties.

“The league is so tight and games swing very quickly on big decisions. I don’t particularly like VAR myself, but it’s something we have to consider as a game.

“We lost four players to injury but we played with conviction and confidence and if we keep it up we still have a chance.”

And after?

Aberdeen are back in action on Saturday in the Scottish Premiership on their trip to Motherwell. St Johnstone will face Hearts in the league on the same day. Both games will start at 3 p.m.

Sky Sports

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button