The release date for Aaron Carter’s controversial memoir – which he tried to close before his untimely death – has been postponed.
“Out of respect for the Carter family, my client has decided to withhold publication of the book at this time,” Scott Atherton, the attorney representing Ballast Books and author Andy Symonds, said in a statement to Page Six.
“Mr. Carter was not only a celebrity, but also a father, brother, son and friend to many who still mourn for him.
Atherton alleged in the statement that Carter “wanted his story told” and chose Symonds, a “highly respected journalist and author, to tell this story with all its beauty and rawness.”
The statement continued: “Public attention has recently focused on a small number of interactions during Mr. Carter’s early years. The most important story concerns Mr. Carter’s life and what people can learn from his professional success, personal struggles and tragic death.
The news comes just days after representatives for the late singer – who tragically died on November 5 at the age of 34 – told Page Six that Carter had tried to stop the publication of “Aaron Carter: An Incomplete Story of an Incomplete Life”.
“Aaron, in the midst of [working on the book]said ‘I don’t want anything to do with it’ and stopped, so the fact that the editor says it’s lit green, it’s not,” his publicist told us. .
“It’s against Aaron’s wishes.”
A bombshell excerpt from the memoir, which was to be released posthumously on Tuesday, claimed Carter spent a night at Michael Jackson’s house.
The author claimed Carter found the top of the “Thriller” chart at the foot of her bed in “tight, white underwear.”
Another excerpt from the book dealt with the “I Want Candy” singer’s teenage romance with Hilary Duff, alleging he took her virginity when she was around 13.
The ‘Lizzie McGuire’ alum, 35, slammed the “disgusting” memoir earlier this week.
“It’s truly sad that less than a week after Aaron’s death, there is a publisher who seems to be recklessly pushing a book to capitalize on this tragedy without taking the time or care to check the validity of his work” , she said in a statement. Thursday.
“To dilute Aaron’s life story to what appears to be unverified click bait for profit is disgusting.”
Despite the backlash, Symonds remained convinced that Carter had “hired” him to “help tell the world his story”.
“This story, while tragically cut short, was filled with good and bad,” he told Page Six earlier this week.
“His life was far from pretty, and it’s understandable that some people in the public eye don’t want some of the stories Aaron told in his book to come to light. That doesn’t make them any less true or newsworthy.
The author added: “Besides being cathartic for him, Aaron hoped this book would help others struggling with addiction and mental illness. I hope and believe that he will.
The former child star was found dead in the bathtub of his California home on November 5.
He is survived by his 11-month-old son, Prince, whom he shared with his recurring fiancée, Melanie Martin.
Carter’s official cause of death has not yet been released and is awaiting toxicology results. He would have died without a will.
New York Post