Published on :
Discussions are underway regarding a possible delay “of a few days” of the start of the Roland Garros tournament, the Ministry of Sports announced on Tuesday. The competition, as is, is scheduled from May 23 to June 6.
Will the 2021 edition of Roland-Garros be postponed? The Ministry of Sports announced, Tuesday April 6, to have started discussions with the organizers of the tournament concerning a possible “delay of a few days” of the competition, initially scheduled from May 23 to June 6.
“Discussions are underway with the organizers on the modalities, in particular for the reception of the public,” the ministry told AFP, specifying that “a delay of a few days is under discussion”.
Friday April 3, Roxana Maracineanu, the Minister of Sports, had said on franceinfo to consider a postponement of the tournament so that it coincides with the possible resumption “of all sporting practice and major events”.
At the end of March, Gille Moretton, the new president of the French Tennis Federation (FFT), had indicated that he was working on almost all scenarios. The only ones he “didn’t dare” consider were the extremes: the 100% audience rating and outright cancellation.
“For the moment, we are in the race, the tournament is on the scheduled date. But if we are told a general confinement for two months, we will necessarily have to take measures,” he admitted. The worst being the outright cancellation, but “I dare not imagine that”, added the president of the FFT, elected on February 13.
In 2020, the tournament had been postponed by several months and was held at the end of September, with a tonnage of 1,000 people.