Skip to content
A child playing with a lighter ignites a structural fire in the Racine district;  a burnt person |  Local News







The South Shore Fire Department responded Tuesday evening to a structural fire in the 2000 block of Howe Street.


Dee Hölzel



The Times Journal staff

MOUNT PLEASANT – A child playing with a lighter started a fire that injured one person and caused approximately $ 40,000 in damage.

The South Shore Fire Department responded to the 2000 block of Howe Street around 8:05 p.m. Tuesday following the report of a structural fire.

Upon arrival, firefighters located the fire in an upstairs bedroom. It took about 20 minutes to bring the fire under control.

One person was treated and released for minor burns by paramedics from the South Shore fire department.

SSFD was assisted at the scene by the Mount Pleasant Police Department and We Energies.

Support local journalism

Your membership makes our reporting possible.

{{featured_button_text}}

NFPA

According to the National Fire Protection Association, from 2014 to 2018, approximately 30,460 fires were caused by a person playing with the fire.

The NFPA reported that “these fires have caused approximately 50 deaths, 510 injuries and $ 205 million in direct property damage each year.”

According to the American Red Cross, more than 50% of fires started by children playing with fire occur in a bedroom, and bedding is the first material to be ignited.

The Red Cross recommends that lighters and matches be stored where children cannot reach them.

In addition, parents and caregivers should talk to children about the importance of notifying an adult if matches or a lighter are found.

.

Cnn