A $ 50 million lawsuit has been filed against Consumers Energy after an explosion in Flint killed two people and damaged several homes.
Fieger Law, who filed the complaint, says the 55-year-old woman who died in the explosion reported a smell of gas on the morning of the incident, November 22. Consumers Energy said after completing its investigation, it found no issues with its natural gas system leading to the explosion.
“It is horrible to wake up one day and find your mother, who is perfectly healthy, who is alive and well, as a result of her house blowing up. Who would think of that?” said Geoffrey Fieger, who represents Lisa Rochowiak’s family. “The explosion was clearly the result of a gas leak which we believe occurred outside the premises.”
After completing its investigation, Consumers Energy announced that it had found no issues in its natural gas system leading to the Flint House explosion on November 22.
Fieger believes Rochowiak’s death could have been avoided.
Lisa had called the Consumers Power Company to investigate a gas leak. Other neighbors contacted us saying they called as early as November 16 about a gas leak. And Consumers never got anything. done, “Fieger said. “We would like to know who declared war on Hogarth Avenue and dropped a bomb on Lisa Rochowiak’s house if it was not a gas explosion.”
Consumers Energy’s role in the investigation ended after its field assessment was completed, a company spokesperson said. Consumers Energy has issued the following statement regarding the lawsuit:
“Consumers Energy is aware of a lawsuit filed over a November house explosion in Flint. Our hearts are always with the residents of this community. We have completed the field assessment of our equipment, facilities and services, in collaboration with law enforcement and other agencies. Our investigation shows that there have been no leaks or other issues with our natural gas system, equipment or service outside the home. Additionally, Consumers Energy reviewed internal call logs and vehicle tracking data, confirming that we were not made aware of a gas leak in the home or any related issues prior to the incident. Statements to the contrary in the trial documents are false and the legal claims are baseless.
The explosion also killed a 4-year-old girl, injured two other people and damaged or destroyed 27 houses.
The case was turned over to Genesee County Judge Joseph J. Farah.