3-year-old Memphis boy dies after shooting himself with AR-15 gun

A three-year-old Memphis boy died of a gunshot wound to the head after he and his brother found an AR-15 gun in their home, according to local media.

The incident happened Sunday night in southwest Memphis in the 400 block of Tonawanda Cove in Whitehaven, according to a Fox 13 report.

The boy’s mother, Tinesha Jackson, told police the AR-15 gun belonged to her friend, Tedrick Butler, who was at home earlier in the day. She said he left the gun in his room.

The victim and his four-year-old brother were left with their uncle when Jackson and Butler left the house to get food.

The uncle told police he was sleeping at home when he was awakened by a gunshot.

The four-year-old boy came out of the bedroom to explain that his brother had been shot. The uncle then entered the room to discover the injured child.

Jackson quickly returned home and took his child to the hospital, where he died.

Homicide charges

Butler has been charged with criminally negligent homicide, tampering with evidence as well as a drug and firearms charge, according to the News channel 3 report.

While searching the house, police found casings and two AR-type pistols and another pistol that had been illegally converted to fire automatically.

Jackson told police she knew he brought the gun to her home and left it unsecured in her bedroom. She was also arrested and charged with criminally negligent homicide.

Newsweek contacted the Memphis Police Department for comment.

A similar incident involving children and a fatal shooting also took place last week in St. Louis, Missouri.

A 12-year-old girl took her own life with her 14-year-old cousin while streaming on Instagram Live on Friday.

The family called the incident a freak accident. Police initially characterized the incident as a murder-suicide.

Paris Harvey, 12, and her cousin, Kuaron Harvey, were at a family birthday party in downtown St. Louis when the shooting happened.

The two children were shooting a video in the bathroom during the party and the gun was accidentally triggered, according to St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Kuaron Harvey was shot in the head and Paris Harvey could be seen reaching for the gun when it exploded and hit her. Both shots were fatal.

The children’s grandmother, Susan Dyson, said the children were not arguing and did not want the gun to go off.

“They were playing with the gun when they shouldn’t have,” she said.

“Of course they shouldn’t have. I think it just happened. It happened by mistake.”

Paris Harvey’s mother echoed that message and said, “It wasn’t murder, it wasn’t suicide. It was a freak accident. It happened.”

A file photo of a police banner. A three-year-old Memphis boy has died after shooting himself with an AR-15 firearm.
Getty Images


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button